Friday, May 27, 2011

Homeless Characters

As part of my attempt to blog something hopefully interesting, I decided (in a moment of madness) that Fridays would be About Writing. Which, in theory at least, means I should get on and atually do some writing, if only late on Thursday nights.

And with that in mind, I'm briefly dusting off a currently homeless character. I invented her a few years ago, as part of a comedy writing exercise pretty much for my own enjoyment and nothing else. I think she was a good comedic character; she had her own gimmick, a catchphrase and everything, and was a nice litle way of poking fun at her real-life counterparts. With a bit of work I could probably have sold some sketches to Little Britain or something.

However, I knew I couldn't do that. I always wanted my writing (at least, any that got released into the wild) to be in some way God-honouring. And this girl, as she stood, was far from being that. She was too light-hearted, too busy making light of a lifestyle that really isn't very funny. And so she has lingered, unloved, on my hard drive, until I began to wonder...

Can I breath some fresh life into her, and somehow use her to highlight what was wrong with her life? Can I concentrate really hard and not make her a stupid caricature, but something useful and potentially God-honouring? Maybe if I replace the stupid juvenile humour of her original incarnation with something more dry and self-deprecating, she can help me to show the way things really are.

Maybe, some day, she will get a second chance. For now, though, I don't think her story is for me to tell. Back to your little corner of the hard drive for now...

No comments: